Sunday, December 11, 2022

Got a Raise!

So since starting this new job over the summer, I took a bit of a pay cut just to get out of healthcare. It was never a big deal for me though because I was going from part time to full time (nearly doubling my hours), as well as going from biweekly paychecks to weekly. So it felt like an increase. 

However, as the job continued and I started taking on more responsibilities, I started to realize how little $17/hr was in today's economy and for the amount of work I was doing. So I started making comments aloud to anyone that would listen, and as other coworkers got fired or quit, the job continued to increase in difficulty, and subsequent comments got louder.

Turns out, there's some policy about getting an increase after 90 days. I was well beyond that by the time it was mentioned to me by my boss, and I'd hear things like "you should ask for more money" and eventually "I'm going to go tell the owners to pay you more", and as luck would have it, my boss eventually followed through with it after only a few weeks.

So now I was bumped up to $20/hr, which, still isn't GREAT, but is exactly what I was going to ask for as a bare minimum, had I made it over to the office to ask. At the very least, it makes it a little more bearable to be working so hard.

It's still not much over minimum wage, as I believe minimum here is going up to $15/hr at the start of the new year.

So far I've received two checks since being notified of said raise, and it's not in there yet, so I suppose I'm just banking on promises at this point, but it is what it is for now regardless.

I will say however, the other guy that is in the same position as me, though, is treated as an assistant manager of sorts, was also given promises and no talk of a raise. So I suppose I'm doing better than that? I don't know. I think he should speak up but that's not my life.

Beyond work related news, we finally donated the kitchen couch that came with the new house, and gifted our old couch to the tenants who moved into our apartment. Our new couch and rug came about a week ago, and fits their respective spaces perfectly. We kept the old loveseat for now to have SOME furniture in the family room for the time being, but will probably switch it up in the future. But for now, we have an appropriate amount of furniture in the house.

With all this newfound space, we have some room to continue unpacking. We're mostly decorated for the holidays, but there's still normal-house-unpacking to be had, and trying to do both is a slow process.

We finally picked a date for our Christmas party, and now the clock is set and counting down to having the house be ready in time. Wish me luck!

Until then, take care all!

No comments: